Tuesday, October 30, 2012

six songs - part 5: the funeral song

Q5: What song would you want at your funeral?

This feels like a bit of a silly question. Or an arrogant one. Who I am to dictate what other people listen to in order to do whatever it is they're trying to do at whatever gathering they may or may not have after my death?

Still... I think I've had a strong "Ohhhh, play that at my funeral" urge about two songs:

1) "Tsukamori no Taiju" (The Huge Tree in the Tsukamori Forest) from My Neighbor Totoro. I prefer this version over Path of the Wind, actually.

2) "Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi" (Nursery Rhyme of Another Summer Afternoon) from this scene in Amelie:


I was happy that someone else separately picked out that second song for me as well. It is always nice to be seen--even if momentarily--as you think you are.

...but, ultimately, it's hard to predict what people will need to listen to after someone's death. Those are songs that make me think about my own death, not necessarily appropriate songs for you, afterward. After the most tragic death in my family, we listened to "Crocodile Rock" and danced crazy like kids, laughing through that peculiar combo-haze of pain and endogenous opioids--who could have foreseen that? Who could have known that's what we'd need, in that moment? Well, I wouldn't have seen it coming, personally.

After another death in my circle, I spent a lot of time alone watching this video:

Dave Gahan - Kingdom


I still watch it a lot.

If anybody wants religious music, I always liked John Michael Talbot. Esp. Lilies of the Field, The Pleiades and Orion. Or Holy Darkness by Dan Schutte. I still need tissues for that one. (Remember crying in the pews, Mom? Pew-cryers forever!) Or the Golden Sequence (Veni Sancte Spiritus), the Taize version. They play that one at Confirmation, as well as Pentecost and Easter Vigil--to my recollection.

But if I had to pick just one song to dedicate to those remaining, right now I'd pick this:

Loreena McKennitt - Night Ride Across the Caucasus

No comments:

Post a Comment