Monday, January 14, 2013

under the hill

Fleet Foxes - Blue Ridge Mountains

---

Just seems to fit this mid-January mood we've got going on here. The people I know can't seem to catch a break lately. More health scares, more bills to wrangle. We personally stand a decent chance of doing some fancy footwork and still coming out of it okay, albeit by eating beans and rice and keeping the first floor at 64 degrees F ... but it pisses me off that this isn't the case for everyone. For most people it's pretty bleak no matter how you dice it.

I mean... if they were to think about it. Which... mostly they seem to be trying really hard not to do. Renaissance of cable TV and all.

That recent NYT article about how shitty America is doing compared with other first-world countries really rings true for my personal experience. Even though my social sphere is fairly limited I still personally know people my own age who are dying young directly because of their socio-economic status. They are doing things like dragging themselves to work at their shitty jobs while bleeding black blood from their GI tract, or knowingly living with untreated cervical cancer because 1) gotta work and 2) they don't want to live with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills hanging over their heads for years to come (I mean, yeah, the hospitals will treat the uninsured in emergency situations, as right-wingers are so fond of reminding us... but at what cost? Their billing department can undo you.)

Me? My insurance is dragging its heels and--due in large part to a simple programming error--I still don't have access to the imaging that a (much) wealthier me would have had last fall. Even after I get the official approval I still may elect not to get the MRI itself. We all have costs and benefits to weigh out. The best I can do in the meanwhile is educate myself on the possibilities and act accordingly. I'll be fine, most likely--that's why I feel fairly comfortable with the gamble I'm making. I pity those in my position who lack the faculties or resources to do what I am doing.

What else is a person to do? Our ancestors' black birds of death--whose names are Overconsumption and Short-Sighted Planning--have come home to roost. A little conniving and shrewdness on your part (and a lot of luck) and you may be able to preserve yourself and your own. I may be able. I will attempt. But--as I keep bemoaning to myself here--any collective resistance is futile. Those expensive wars will continue, along with the expensive blowback (well, until such a time as the fear of automated detection and retaliation is too high to make such acts worthwhile... which is pretty soon). When What's-His-Name-Care goes into effect it will prove dehumanizingly invasive from a personal privacy/autonomy standpoint and profoundly inadequate from a health/longevity standpoint. There's a lot of money to be made in ignoring the root causes of our health and economic problems at the a systemic level, and our head-in-the-sand cultural/religious norms don't permit a realistic, widespread acknowledgement of where all the pieces on the chess board lie as we move into the transhuman age.

(Forget detached theoretical conversations about the pros and cons of social Darwinism and ethnic cleansing. Didn't you see that sign posted above your own front door? It says "ARBEIT MACHT FREI." People who talk about "camps" like some scary future possibility are too retarded to know they already live in one, de facto.)



Whoever's in power--left or right, totally irrelevant--they're going to play ignorant as long as possible. And that's plenty of time for you and your kids to fill up on the devitalized-but-hyperpalatable human dog food you're served up by Burger Bell... and die. :) Not that they actively want you to die. It's just irrelevant to them, at the end of the day, so long as there are enough buyers left to keep Sir Crapsalot's Discount Mart in business until the majority shareholders (who all brush elbows at the same masquerade balls) shift to Plan B.

Of course you know all this already. I know that. I am just angry at the moment and venting. Just havin' a moment.

Have a fantastic day! What a lovely song.

Shouldn't you catch up on Downton Abbey or something?

Actually... perhaps, yes. You should.

It may be true that those involved in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising had a higher survival rate than those who complied and went on to Treblinka. But that was 70 years ago.

Today?

Well, Aaron S. That's what. That's a head on a pike, kids, and it's only the tip of the berg. Get the message?

Doesn't matter. Everybody else did. There comes a point when only the stupidest and the truest romantics will throw themselves on the gears; they will be bloodied and crushed, and to no perceptible avail. Turns out I, personally, ain't that romantic.

From Freedom's Orator by Robert Cohen

---

PS: BTW, to clarify, I do not intend to suggest that A.S. was literally, physically murdered. I'm seeing that idea pop up now among the doomer-hysterics, especially on Youtube, and I want to distance myself explicitly from them. As always, I believe that conspiracy theories of that sort only serve to discredit and obfuscate the legitimately wrong and enraging reality of the situation, which is this: in a socio-political environment in which power is concentrated and centralized, it is inevitable that idealistic people who take morality more seriously than the system intends (particularly young idealists who experience rude and abrupt awakenings) are backed into corners where they have no choice but to abandon their morals or self-destruct.

This is actually no choice at all.

In our culture we are basically told that our sense of self-worth should be inextricably intertwined with our moral integrity. Remember all the movies and cartoons you saw as a kid where the "happy" ending was for the young man to sacrifice himself for the greater good?

Did you get that memo, Mr. Anderson? You were actually supposed to join the army and be willing to self-destruct for the sake of the nation. But you went and applied those ideals consistently to your everyday life, you dummy.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

1) You've got a young guy who feels he can't back down from the path of righteousness BUT if he doesn't, his government is going to draw and quarter him.

2) If he were to choose to back down, he might as well be dead anyhow because (I reiterate) his core sense of self-worth is inextricably intertwined with his appraisal of his own moral integrity.

3) Bonus to seal the deal: he is very smart and--even if he was a nearly-perfect ever-loving saint!--he almost certainly noticed at some point that 99% of the rest of us animalistic pea-brains do not take any care for our own futures, much less concern ourselves with the social justice issues of our neighbors, and that we furthermore appear to be basically satisfied with our days of wanking to Rachael Ray and foraging for Poptarts up our own asses. Cue resultant despair and loneliness.

4) He's dead. Surprise. No hit-squad necessary. It's just kind of built into the system.

In my opinion the real suicide occurred in the moment he decided to embark on his self-sacrificial deed. Not the hanging. But even that suicide was propelled, in a sense, by the hive-mind at large.

If I appear flippant, just know it's my way of expressing sadness and anger. Also, obviously, I am aware I'm taking some extreme liberties here and could be wrong about anything and everything I've said, etc. etc.

PPS: I was feeling pretty woozy and out-of-it due to illness when I wrote this post. It's the next day now and I'm still not sure whether I really stand by what I said. Mostly because I still feel like crap. But... oh, well. It's already published and life's a circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment