Monday, January 7, 2013

links 1/2012

Wrong season but, hey: "The Halloween Tree" painted by R. Bradbury himself.


"Hey, Look" by Simon Rich, from The New Yorker (2007)

"Hey, look, it’s that kid Simon, who wrote that scathing poem for the literary magazine."

"You mean the one about how people are phonies? Wow—I loved that poem!"

"Dark Ecology" by Paul Kingsnorth, from Orion Magazine (2013)

Is it possible to read the words of someone like Theodore Kaczynski and be convinced by the case he makes, even as you reject what he did with the knowledge? Is it possible to look at human cultural evolution as a series of progress traps, the latest of which you are caught in like a fly on a sundew, with no means of escape? Is it possible to observe the unfolding human attack on nature with horror, be determined to do whatever you can to stop it, and at the same time know that much of it cannot be stopped, whatever you do? Is it possible to see the future as dark and darkening further; to reject false hope and desperate pseudo-optimism without collapsing into despair?

It’s going to have to be, because it’s where I am right now. But where do I go next? What do I do? Between Kaczynski and Kareiva, what can I find to alight on that will still hold my weight?

I’m not sure I know the answer. But I know there is no going back to anything. And I know that we are not headed, now, toward convivial tools. We are not headed toward human-scale development. This culture is about superstores, not little shops; synthetic biology, not intentional community; brushcutters, not scythes. This is a culture that develops new life forms first and asks questions later; a species that is in the process of, in the words of the poet Robinson Jeffers, “break[ing] its legs on its own cleverness.”
I'm also reading a lot of Thomas Merton lately. At some point I will post some lengthy excerpts.

No comments:

Post a Comment