Sunday, September 25, 2011

how you can help #occupywallstreet



Are you following the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protest? If not, check it out. If you're sympathetic, take a look at these Adbusters suggestions on how we can all help out, regardless of how far away we may be.

Mainstream media outlets were fairly quiet on the protest before today, when a large number of protesters were arrested. It's too bad that the media only pays close attention when scenes like that occur. I've been watching since the beginning of the protest and--while I always have my quibbles with the manipulative antics of some of the professional activists involved in matters like these--I support the movement and the ideas behind it without reserve.

Corporate interests are steering this country and the interests of the common people have taken a backseat. That's unacceptable.


Notes

November 3 - I'm currently uncomfortable with pretty much all preexisting organizations that support the Occupy movement, including Adbusters. I still support the movement itself, but I would really urge fellow supporters to act according to their own convictions and be cautious of the potential for manipulation.

November 19 - Glenn Greenwald's column today is something we should all read: Here's what attempted co-option of OWS looks like

June 20 - My former enthusiasm for this movement looks naive as fuck to me now. As does my former optimism regarding the potential endgame. Oh, well. That's life, I guess. I'm still not sure why the most effective of the available tools and blueprints for this sort of thing weren't very much taken advantage of during the heyday of OWS. It's not like any of it was a secret, how best to strategize and implement a movement of this kind. Our own government developed most of these strategies itself for use abroad. Many of the manuals and tactical breakdowns are even available online without charge. But here, things fizzled out. I could speculate as to why... and I do have some decently sound ideas... but it's still just speculation (i.e., pretty worthless to publish, at least in this context).

No comments:

Post a Comment